From time to time, we are asked if an extension cord can be used with electric fireplaces. We don't recommend it because the extension cord can overheat and cause risk of fire.
However, if you have to use an extension cord, the cord must be Number 14 AWG minimum size and rated no less than 1875 Watts. The extension cord must be a three wire cord with grounding type plug and cord connection. Lastly, the extension cord should not be longer than 20 feet.
Whether by choice or due to safety concerns, many homes have an unused fireplace and mantel surround that can be converted into a functioning feature of the home by inserting an electric fireplace log set. It is typical to see an outlet on the wall right beside the fireplace mantel surround. Electric fireplace's cords are typically between six and seven feet long. The cord is usually an adequate length for the electric fireplace to be plugged right in.
Once installed (plugged in) you will hardly notice the cord. Do not operate an electric fireplace with a damaged cord, damaged extension cord or damaged plug as this can be a fire hazard. Contact the manufacturer, who will make every effort to replace the damaged supply cord if it is within warranty. Qualified service technicians should be the only ones to carry out repairs.
One last note, don't try to conceal the cords under the rug to hide it as this is also a fire hazard and dangerous if you have little hands or pets around. Extension cords are one of the leading cause of electrical fires and should only be used on a temporary basis. When they are unplugged, store them in a safe place and never use one that feels hot or looks exposed. We always want to keep your home happy and healthy!